GrandLinq selection process
In March 2014, GrandLinq was selected as the Region’s public-private partner for ION Stage 1 LRT. GrandLinq brings international experience to the design, build, finance, operations and maintenance of ION Stage 1 LRT. The organization is made up of key team members including Plenary Group, Meridiam Infrastructure, Aecon, Kiewit and Keolis.
In the selection of GrandLinq, numerous Region staff and consultants including Infrastructure Ontario, Deloitte, Parsons Brinckerhoff and Norton Rose carefully evaluated each of the proposals submitted based on both their financial and technical specifications.
Infrastructure Ontario and the Fairness Monitor (P1 Consulting) worked closely with the Region throughout the year long process to ensure each proposal was evaluated in a transparent, fair and consistent manner.
ION remains on-time, on budget and the costs remain affordable based on the Region’s approved funding strategy. GrandLinq will focus on having the system in operation as early as possible, while minimizing traffic impacts during construction. The operating contract with GrandLinq is for 10 years with possible extensions. The maintenance contract is for 30 years.
Public-Private Partnerships are a proven and widely used approach for large infrastructure projects in Canada. They engage the expertise and innovation of the private sector. They also transfer a major share of the risks to the private sector so taxpayers are not responsible for cost overruns, delays or performance issues over the life of the agreement.
World-class experience with a local presence
Through work on light rail transit (LRT) and other projects around the world, the GrandLinq team has unparalleled experience designing, building, financing, operating and maintaining transit systems.
This industry experience allows GrandLinq to apply innovative and proven methods to this project, while our local presence in the Region helps us understand the unique needs and conditions of this community.
Many of our team members have local offices in or near the Region of Waterloo, which means that GrandLinq is contributing to the local economy and workforce.
• Gold Coast Australia Public Private Partnership (P3) ( LRT project in Queensland Australia)
• Disraeli Bridges (P3 Bridge project in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)
• St. Joseph's Healthcare (New 830,000 ft2 hospital in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada)
• North East Anthony Henday Drive, Alberta
• University of Montreal Research Center, Quebec
• Miami Tunnel, Florida
• North Tarrant Express, Texas Plenary Group
• Hwy 401 upgrades, at Fountain, Homer Watson, Drumbo and at the Speed River
• Hwy 8, just west of Kitchener
• Air Rail Link for the UP Express
• TTC Sheppard West project
• York Region Rapid Transit Viva (York, Ontario)
• VivaNext H2 (Vaughan, Ontario)
• Willamette River Transit Bridge (Portland, Oregon)
• Gold Coast Australia (Public-Private Partnership (P3) LRT project in Queensland Australia)
• Nottingham Express Transit Phase II (P3 LRT project in Nottingham, UK)
• Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority Commuter Rail (commuter rail service operating out of